Borrowing Rules at the North Portland Preserve & Serve Library
1. Only residents of North Portland neighborhoods over the age of 18 are eligible to borrow items from the North Portland Preserve & Serve Library (NPPSL). Items are to be borrowed for the sole purpose of personal or community use but not for commercial use.
2. Borrowers must register with NPPSL prior to borrowing items. Registration includes the completion of an application form and verification of the borrower’s identity. Verification is accomplished by presenting a valid photo ID displaying North Portland address. If you have recently moved and do not have a updated ID we will accept two pieces of mail. Registration may be completed at the time of your 1st checkout from the library.
3. NPPSL staff is available to assist in explaining operation of items, and will make available upon request materials such as manuals. However, by taking possession of any item, the borrower is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
4. Only the borrower is authorized to use NPPSL items. The borrower shall not permit the use of items checked out to them by any other person unless by the express permission of the NPPSL.
5. The borrower agrees that the North Portland Preserve & Serve Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed items.
6. The Borrower agrees that if any borrowed item becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, they will immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify NPPSL of the issue on return, if not earlier.
7. All items borrowed are loaned for a period of one week or less. Items checked out on Tuesdays are due back no later than the following Tuesday by 7pm. Items loaned on Saturdays are to be returned no later than 10am on the following Saturday. Items may only be returned during NPPSL open hours. Late fines will be levied for each item kept past the loan period. No extensions are allowed.
8. You may make a reservation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Reservations can only be placed 30 days in advance of checkout date.
9. Items are to be returned in the same condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All items must be returned clean in the same condition you would expect them to be loaned to you in. These items are not cleaned or sanitized by the library between uses and you may choose to clean them again before your own personal use.
10. The borrower agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept NPPSL staff’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to NPPSL staff’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal replacement cost of the item plus handling and processing fees.
11. It is imperative items be returned by their due date. When items are not returned by the designated due date, the NPPSL will issue an overdue notice. If the items are not returned after the notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action. NPPSL may replace severely delinquent items, holding borrower responsible for full replacement cost plus applicable handling fees. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items.
12. NPPSL retains the right to refuse the loan of any item to any person for any reason whatsoever.